“I’m enjoying the adventure.”

Primitive artist Valerie Flewelling

Val Flewelling at home with two of her earlier pieces. The building shown at left is her first attempt at primitive art and she keeps it in her living room as a reminder of how careers can be reimagined.
Val Flewelling at home with two of her earlier pieces. The building
at left is her first attempt at primitive art and she keeps it in her living room
as a reminder of how careers can be reimagined.

Val Flewelling hails from Chatam, Ontario, where she launched a career in floral design. After a move to Carleton County 14 years ago, she took some art lessons and started painting primarily to decorate her own home. Then two years ago, she established a new business, Starr’d & Weather’d, to market her original art, prints and cards.

In addition to her distinctive primitive-style watercolour art, Flewelling is known for her cinnamon buns which she sells at various local markets and, as if she isn't busy enough already, she also plays goaltender for the Hartland Panthers. Meanwhile, her art has become so popular that now she can foresee making a living from doing something that she truly enjoys. 


Was it really only a few years ago that you started painting?
Actually, I had a few art lessons in high school and I loved it. That lit the flame. One of my first paintings was of Megan Fellows who was then starring in Anne of Green Gables. Now I realize that I’m not really a portrait artist. Too many circles to paint I guess ─ I’m a square person, not a circle person.

Any other formal training?
After junior high school, I didn't have much time for art. I was the oldest of five children and in our family we had to choose just one thing as a hobby or activity. I chose hockey. But soon after I got married, my husband gave me art lessons as a gift. It was a six-week watercolour course and the instructor, Rachel MacDonald, really helped me build my confidence.

Then what?
After that, I painted a few pieces to fill the walls in our new home because we couldn't afford to buy art. For my first try, I copied a picture from a magazine and it worked out pretty well. Some time later, I wanted to get into the Paint the Heartland event which is a juried show. I was accepted ─ Surprise! ─ and it meant the world to me.

I first saw your work during the inaugural Art in the Valley Studio Tour. Now, less than two years later, your style seems to have become less primitive, less naïve.
Maybe I’m not as influenced by other artists now. I want to keep that simple, innocent feel but I need some elegance as well. At first it was all about proportion and technique. Now it’s the little details: decorative gingerbread work on a porch, cedar shakes, etcetera. That’s more my own style.

You have three young children and lots of other interests. How do you manage it all?
We have busy lives, true enough. But it also gives us unusual family opportunities. I take my kids with me wherever I go. When we’re at O’Toole Gallery [for occasional store-minding], they can observe other artists’ work. I encourage them to look around and if they see something they like, I say “Here, try and copy it.”

What’s next?
I’m painting a quilt series that will be the basis for a set of greeting cards. That’s how I started out, you know ─ selling my art cards next to my cinnamon buns at the market.

This watercolour anticipates Flewelling’s next series of greeting cards which will be based on quilt designs.
This watercolour of the old Carleton County Court House in Upper Woodstock NB anticipates Flewelling’s next series of greeting cards which will be based on quilt designs.