“Either we change the way it’s done or quilting could become a dead art.”

Theresa Stephenson at Make Your Mark Custom Quilting

In her Somerville NB workshop, Theresa Stephenson shows off a large,
recently-completed quilt. The huge 16-foot-long sewing machine
at the rear advances forward between the side rails and is
guided by hand to create a pattern.

Born and raised in Simonds, Theresa Stephenson established her Somerville NB quilting business in 2007 after spending 30 years in the West. Although her own quilting is done with the aid of an enormous sewing machine, she calls Carleton County “a hotbed of hand stitching.”

A member of the Woodstock Quilt Guild, Mrs Stephenson makes everything from table runners to tote bags and even washable children’s books in addition to custom quilts and restorations. In the summer months, her work can be admired at the weekly Bristol Market.


You say that traditional quilting as we know it is in danger of dying out. Why?
There’s nothing like a completely hand-quilted piece and there are still a few people around here who prefer to do every bit of it by hand ─ the piecework, the actual quilting, the binding and so forth. But most of these wonderful traditionalists are older now and there doesn't seem to be a younger generation behind them who have the same skills or patience or time.

What about you?
Mum made all our clothes and in the wintertime the quilting frames would be set up in the parlour ─ it took up nearly the whole room ─ and we all took turns. I loved piecing [the stitching together of bits of cloth to form the face of the quilt] but I never developed the skill to hand quilt [the intricate detail stitching on the face that forms a pattern]. For that I now use the machine.

I’m the fourth generation of a 
quilt-making family. 

Let’s talk about this monster that takes up most of the space in your workshop.
My sister-in-law had one of these machines and, when I saw what it could do, I said to myself, “I need one of those.” But, financially, it was a big decision. My husband refers to it as “the new car” and I call it “a Singer on steroids.”

This section of a 4’x4’ sample quilt shows some of the intricate patterns that are possible with the help of the super-size sewing device which can do as many as ten stitches per inch.
This section of a 4’x4’ sample quilt shows some of the intricate
patterns that are possible with the help of the super-size sewing

device which can do as many as ten stitches per inch.
How does it work? Is it computer stitching?
You can get them with computer patterning programs but mine is entirely manual. My hand guides the stitching. And, believe me, it takes a lot of practice to make sure that the pattern remains consistent as the quilt is advanced after having been fastened and rolled onto the side rails. [The photo at right shows some of the intricate patterns that are possible.]

You also do restoration, I understand.
Yes and it’s a very special thing for me because I feel that these old quilts should be seen and appreciated, not tucked away in a drawer somewhere. My pleasure is seeing how the work was originally done and what materials they worked with and then staying true to their ways. But you can’t overdo it, otherwise the history of the piece is gone.

Of all your quilts, which do you value the most?
I have one of my great-grandmother’s quilts which my grandmother also worked on and which my mother backed with old flour sacks ─ that’s how it was done  ─ and she eventually finished it.

Do you have a dream project?
I've always wanted to make a quilt featuring the Hartland covered bridge. I’m in the “creative stages” right now and I know it’s got to be exciting and different. But how? We’ll see.

One of two large quilts by Mrs Stephenson that were recently on display
at the Craig Gallery in Hartland NB.