"While it’s exciting to experiment, the reward is self-fulfillment."

Meagan Billings at Billings Pottery

On the wheel through to the finished product, “Clay is not quick,” comments Ms Billings.


Born and raised in Upper Hainesville NB, and still keeping her studio there, Megan Billings creates her pottery with passion. “I put a little bit of me into everything I make,” she says. A graduate of the University of New Brunswick and the NB College of Craft and Design, she is committed to making quality work of both beauty and function.

Billings’ leap of faith in her craft happened in 2005 when she decided to devote herself full-time to building a wholesale and retail business. The museum shop at Fredericton’s Beaverbrook Gallery was one of the first to carry her work. Several pieces are currently available at the McCain Art Gallery in Florenceville.


Not many artisans in Atlantic Canada, or anywhere else for that matter, are ever able to practice their craft full-time. How did you manage that?
My business is a mix of retail shows ─ larger craft shows around New Brunswick and occasionally in Nova Scotia ─ and wholesale. To get started in wholesale I attended the Atlantic Craft Trade Show in Halifax for many years, which takes place in February. Then I’m busy filling orders until June. But the trouble with wholesale is that you need a cache of money to support yourself because you don’t get paid until well after the orders are shipped. It’s tricky, but I knew this business wasn't going to be easy.

Sounds like it’s not exactly get rich quick.
Well, the financial aspect of my business, no one should envy. And it certainly is demanding, messy work.

Tell me what a typical day for a potter is like.We really need to talk weeks. Day one, I might start with throwing mugs, make 15, maybe 30, and then move on to bowls, throwing several of one size and shape at a time. I will typically throw on the wheel for three or four days. On the fifth day, the handles are made and attached. Trimming [to remove excess clay] takes several more days and then everything has to be completely air dried. When it’s dry I add the decoration and then it’s another week before firing and glazing.

You've had two phases in your career so far starting with traditional crystalline glazes and then moving to a more contemporary look.
The crystalline pieces were the first that I made and people responded well. I liked the sparkle but so much was left to the mystery of the firing. I suppose I’m drawn to things that are the hardest to do. Now I have two different lines, one white and the other multi-coloured and people seem equally passionate about this more modern style.

Both these phases have lasted roughly five years so what’s next for Billings Pottery?
Oh, I think I’ll continue with my current line for some time although it will always evolve. Whenever I get the chance, I like to try new techniques for surface decoration which may or may not be incorporated into my work.

I never stop asking myself how I could do better.

Billings’ more contemporary style, as shown in this plate and cup, have proven to be enormously popular.