‘A show can be nerve-wracking, it’s so very personal.’

Lynn Billings

Lynn Billings, shown here with an acrylic painting of irises, 
has a knack for capturing the delicate beauty of flowers. 
Lynn Billings works in watercolour, oil and acrylic and has been exhibiting since 1995. She considers herself a dedicated amateur but her work demonstrates a very high level of skill, a result of many courses in art over the years and exposure to different styles.

Billings shows occasionally at craft fairs and events like the Dooryard Festival, often sharing a booth with her daughter, Megan, who is a potter. She also participated in the recent “Small Works” show at the McCain Art Gallery.


Note the evergreen branches in this landscape,
demonstrating how depth can be suggested by a
talented artist using colour, shadow
and perspective. 
This interview, Lynn, is for the reader who always wanted to take up art but never had the time or maybe the courage. Give us an idea of your first steps.
Sometimes all you need is to be exposed to art. The first actual course that I took was in Nackawic in 1984. It was oil painting and I was terrible but I had a good time. Then, the same year, I took another course from a Dutch artist, John Van derKnapp, and another the following year. Later I took more courses in Fredericton. I was painting for fun but people said that they could see the improvement and that made me glad I had signed up. And I’m still taking classes.

So what was the result of all that study that began almost 30 years ago?
It gave me a much better understanding of what holds a piece together ─ colour temperature, underpainting, all the theory that becomes a foundation for your own style. It also makes you notice things. You stop and look, you’re more aware of your surroundings. I like a misty days as much as a sunny day because there’s always something there.

When did you first show your work publicly?
I joined an artists’ co-op in Nackawic in 1995 and that’s where I showed first. I was reluctant. You put your heart and soul out there when you show.

You work in three different mediums. What’s your favourite?
I like watercolour but it can be unforgiving depending on the paper and the paint that you’re using. There are tricks of course and it can be a delightful exploration. But oil… the texture is so rich and delicious! It has body, thick and wonderful.

You do landscapes, flowers and animals. Which do you prefer?
I love animals, they’re unique. But landscapes are much more appealing for most people because, for the viewer, it’s an emotional, gut reaction.… and it’s not a wolf looking you in the eye.

Any final words of encouragement for the closet artist out there?

Anyone can create art so if you have an urge to do something creative, just jump in and do it.

These geese seem have been captured mid-motion. “Art is totally food for the soul and it makes me extremely happy,” commented Billings.