‘My love of colour, and life, throws itself on the paper.’

Artist Suzan Carsley

Talking about this watercolour featuring Woodstock’s St. Gertrude’s church,
artist Suzan Carsley remarked that one of her next paintings will feature
three adjacent houses in that part of town that hold some fascination for her.
“I never grow tired of things around me here,” she notes.


A graduate of New York’s Pratt Institute, Suzan Carsley moved to New Brunswick in 2011 after many years’ involvement in her family’s Montreal interior design business and boutique. “We had an edge,” she remembers, “because we bought with the eye of a designer and not a retailer.” For nearly 20 years from 1989, the family spent winters in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, the famed artists’ colony, where she first took up painting with watercolour.

Carsley’s work has been shown in Montreal and can be seen locally at the O’Toole Gallery in Grafton NB, the McCain Gallery in Florenceville-Bristol and on facebook. Her studio, just outside of Woodstock NB, is in a contemporary custom-built house that echoes the design approach of Frank Lloyd Wright.


Having worked in acrylic and oil
as well as watercolour, this exuber-
ant mixed media work fully
demonstrates the influence of
Carzley’s Latin America travels.
Suzan, I suppose that this wonderful, light-filled home is an outcome of your many years in interior design.
I could have gone into architecture but I prefer working from the inside out. I call myself an interior architect. Here, I like the blend of modern and antique ─ a happy combination that can make a house a home. And that’s what makes a good painting too, an eclectic mix.

There’s a lot of art on the walls, by you and others, but your earlier watercolours are particularly bold and quite architectural in a way.
Your environment dictates how you paint and those were done in Mexico with its exquisite light. San Miguel, where we were, is one big party but while everyone else was shopping, my mother and I were painting. I was working then so I think those pieces reflect my short-term freedom.

And now that you’ve been in New Brunswick for a few years, what is this environment coaxing out of your brush?
Having the long-term freedom to paint, it’s my work now, my joy. Here, the architecture is in the landscape. It’s like flowing music with an element of surprise.

Montreal has a very rich, diverse art scene. Don’t you miss all that?
I go back to Montreal every few months and I love being there but I can’t wait to get back home. Here, there’s a wealth of artistry up and down the river but I had no idea until I first went to the Dooryard Festival in 2011 and noticed the booth for the Woodstock Art Club. That was my introduction to the valley art scene. The next year, I participated in Paint the Heartland where I also meet artists from outside our area. It was my luck to make those connections.

"Everywhere you look hereabouts you see
those incredible yellow hills, the breathtaking
greens."
And you were one of the first members of the artists’ collective at the O’Toole Gallery, I believe?
Yes, I’ve been there since 2012 and through friendships with other artists, it’s opened my eyes even more to what’s out there. There’s good camaraderie and it’s great to have a venue where you can show what you’re up to on a continuous basis.

Can you foresee an even greater cultural influence emerging in this area?
There’s certainly potential for cultural tourism here but, of course, it needs promotion. The expanded Woodstock library is a good development, a permanent place for shows right in town. Then there’s Hartland, Florenceville-Bristol and Grafton with dedicated galleries and, of course, the Bath Meeting House. Connell House, with their new spot lighting, is also a good place for shows. Mixing heritage and art is a great opportunity.

And what are you up to next?
I’m always wondering how I can expand my base. Watercolour is a fine line between control and chaos so I’m trying egg tempura which is very forgiving. Maybe I’ll combine the two. I can’t wait!

“When I travel, I keep a journal,” says Carsley, “and fill it with watercolour or pen and ink sketches.” This collage piece, set in Mexico, originated in that manner.