‘I use art to overcome life’s challenges. It’s liberating.’

Brenda Thebeau

Brenda Thebeau holding the lion page that changed her life. Insets: other art journal pieces.
“My new work is far less personal… but it’s all about exploration.”

Detail of a larger multi-media piece.
Where might that doorknob lead?
Brenda Thebeau of Nackawic NB first ventured into the world of art by exploring the visual possibilities of her written word journals. What were, at first, “doodles” exploded into richly layered canvases in just one year. (Try googling “art journals”.)

Reflecting on these changes in her art, Thebeau confides that “my new work is far less personal… but it’s all about exploration” That being said, her first solo show in 2011 (at Woodstock’s Fusion restaurant) completely sold out and paved the way to multiple private commissions. “Selling is humbling for me,” she says.

Thebeau’s portfolio is available online and her work will also be on view Saturday, July 25 at the open air market, Queen Street, Woodstock during the Dooryard Arts Festival and at the Golden Unicorn Art Festival on Sunday August 16, 2015.


Brenda, you’ve mentioned that you have certain health issues that can make daily routines quite painful. But as I look around your studio, you seem to have dozens of pieces on the go or already finished. How do you manage all that?
I get lost in art and forget the pain although I am careful about what I choose to do. It’s an emotional release and a life expander, really.

Tell me how you found your own niche in art.
Well, I have no talent for drawing but I did take a few classes in abstract art back in primary school. I can’t really tell you how I went from a written journal to a more visual expression but, quite suddenly, the ideas began to flow. My first journal art, a collage, dealt with a lion (see above) and it sparked something. I knew it was my break-out piece, a very personal expression. I knew I had gone beyond.

How so?
From that I moved on to canvas ─ my sister-in-law suggested it ─ and everything seemed to explode. My imagination blew wide open. It allowed me the freedom to fully explore, to go bigger, wider and to play with much more elaborate textures.

How did you develop your style?
In exploring art, I’ve found that I’m drawn to the masters and their technique ─ layer upon layer to achieve rich tones. Then I got a much better understanding of the medium through videos and web tutorials. I’m always looking for techniques that I can use but, in the end, you need to find your own way. And I can’t get enough texture it seems.

Let’s talk more about texture and technique.
Most of my work is mixed media on canvas. I may begin with a layer of patterned paper or tissue then add “wood icing”, the stuff that’s used for repairing furniture. Using tintable paste as a base, I next apply layers of acrylic glaze for more colour and maybe a bit of metallic ink for emphasis. I like the broken up look.

So what’s next?
More of the same, I suppose, but it’s all an exploration. I’ll do a few shows as well: the Dooryard and Unicorn festivals this summer, the McCain Gallery show at Christmas. And, of course, I keep busy with commissioned work throughout the year. 

1 comment:

  1. Great press Brenda and we artists can't get enough of that. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete